Good Times and Boxed Whine

Friday, October 06, 2006

Trip to see the Tibet doctor

It has finally come. The day that I got to go see Dr. Lobsang Dhondup the doctor from Tibet. I have been having weird dreams and just been really nervous about what may happen to me during that appointment but I must say this visit was the most peaceful and enjoyable visit I’ve ever been to when it comes to seeing a doctor. He was very warm and soothing. His voice was calm and mellow and he just seems to have this way about him that you knew he was very genuine. My doctor visit went as follows:

Mike and I walk in; it was really nice and quiet. A lot of Buddha figurines around and the Dali lama on various posters on the wall. It actually reminded me of a place I used to go to get massages done. Not bright and fast paced like normal doctors offices at all. I handed the receptionist my urine sample that I had to bring in and he handed me back a piece of paper that simply ask the basic info. Name, phone, emergency contact, and medicines you are on…

After I filled that out Dr. Dhondup came out and greeted us and told us to go into the back room. Again the room is very warm and inviting. He told me to sit at a chair that had like a pillow to lay my arms on. I was breathing sort of hard or fast so he put his hand on my shoulder and said “Don’t worry; I’m not going to hurt you.” I smiled and told him I was just a bit nervous. (I didn’t want to mention anything about my oxygen). He asked me how I heard of him and I said I worked with Morgan Rose and he new right away who she was and said “So I’m sure you know a lot about me and my work” I agreed and just sat waiting for the freak show I’d been dreaming about to start happening. Of course it never did. Instead he takes my right wrist and simply holds it and then I want to say it sort of felt like he was doing the cords to an instrument on my wrist but at a very slow form. Sometimes he’d stop on a spot for a while and then others he’s move a little faster, but nothing at all that hurt. It actually was very soothing and relaxed me and my breathing. Then he took my left wrist but not nearly as long and then back to the right. This took all but ten minutes if even that long. When he was done he said. “How is your period?” I just sort of looked at him weird like, “Hey doc. I’m here for my lungs not my period.” So I just looked at him a little strangely and he said, “I felt something about regarding your womanhood.” I then explained to him about me going into early menopause due to chemotherapy. Then he asked me about being tired and fatigue. I told him I was always tired but felt it had to do with the allergy medicines. He asked me if I had sleep apnea and I told him I have never been tested. He said he could just tell I didn’t get good quality sleep. Then finally he said “how long have you had this asthma or trouble breathing.” That is when I got excited. Finally he said what I wanted to hear. I told him four years ago was when it started to get really bad. When I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis. He wrote some stuff down on the sheet of paper and then said. “I can’t think of the word but your lungs, the fibrosis is like a bee hive and it makes a nest that gets bigger and bigger.” I new exactly what he was trying to say because often they call the fibrosis “honeycombing” because that is what it does to the lungs, it builds up in forms that sort of resemble a bee hive. So I told him the name “honeycomb” and he wrote that down. Then he said “I think I can help with the mucus and your breathing and maybe get rid of some of the scarring or fibrosis. But it’s going to be a lot of work for you. A good diet (which I’ll share with you later), drink lots of “hot” water and no eating late (after 7pm). You’ll need to do small walks at first just to get more active and help with digesting the foods, and gentle yoga. Exercise will help you from not being so fatigue and will help you sleep better. No cheese or milk. hen I want you to take these herbs before breakfast and after dinner. These and your diet are very important and they will help your mucus in your lungs and esophagus. I’d like to see you in one month again to see how you are doing.” So that was it. No poking, pricking, drawing blood, or cold objects sticking me anywhere. He was so nice and for once I left a place with a lot of hope. The ball is now in my field. I need to really stick to this diet and take these herbs and hopefully with that and the power of prayer and hope, things will stay the same and not get worse and if miracles do happen then maybe I will improve somehow. So wish me luck and here is a look at my new diet, at least I am going to give it until the New Year and if things don’t seem to be working then I will go back to Dr. Grumpy (Yung) and do the chemo. /prednisone remedy.


Diet is pretty much as follows:
Bean/Legumes= pretty much all of them including soymilk (which is nice since I can’t have cows milk)

Condiments: no jams, jellies, pepper, pickles, salsa, or Tabasco but everything else is ok

Dairy= I can only have, egg whites, cow milk yogurt (low fat), cottage cheese, low fat goat cheese and low fat goat milk yogurt and butter

Fruits= all fruits except dried, mango, melons, watermelon, and pineapple

Grain & products= no wheat products, or whole wheat, white flour products or white rice. So in my eyes pretty much all rice, bread and pasta is a no no.

Meats: I can’t have bacon, bologna, fowl, ham, luncheon meat, pork, sausage and I can still have beef but what ever I eat now cut that in half. I can still have all seafood, chicken, and turkey.

Nuts/seeds= all except almonds, peanuts and peanut butter

Oils= really wants me to eat olive oil when cooking and flaxseed oil in the capsules if I can find them (I already take this).

Sweeteners= no sugar except splenda if I have to have it.

Vegetables= all except no eggplant, peppers, potatoes, radishes, sweet potatoes, or winter squash. I can’t have raw onions or tomatoes but I can have them cooked.

Miscellaneous: no alcohol (I can have an occasional glass of wine), candy, chocolate, pizza, popcorn, pretty much all junk food. I can have green and herbal tea in the am but not coffee.
And finally: he recommends I get reiki done, and drink hot water before meals, short walks and gentle yoga and deep breathing exercises.

So this is it. Please wish me luck because the more I see this diet plan the more I realize how hard it’s going to be. I need to make my grocery list. Thanks for reading.

Carmen San Diego

3 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, sounds exciting. I'm glad that you had the chance to talk with him and that you seemed to have a good feeling about it all. With the diet- just take one moment at a time. Focusing on the whole can overwhelm you, but hey, your a very strong woman. You KNOW you can do what you set your mind to.

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so glad you had a good experience with the dr. I know you can do this - and I hope, hope, hope it helps.
    Sending you love.

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Carmen - My older son was on a gluten and casein free diet (no milk products, no wheat) for about 9 months to see if it would help his Autism. I saw an immediate difference, but it was hard to face at first, because so much was off limits. Then we moved him onto using enzymes, and slowly reintroduced foods. He's doing well off the diet now, but it's amazing how linked to the immune system the diet is. The digestive system is an integral part to the immune system, which I never knew until I read about the diet my son was on. Good luck with your new diet, and I hope you start feeling better soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home