Good Times and Boxed Whine

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Feeling better - loss of voice

So my sore throat is gone. FINALLY!!!! But now I have no voice or actually it comes and goes; like a 13 year old boy going threw puberty. Oh crap! Know wonder people keep thinking I'm Dominic on the phone, they hear my voice cracking and assume. Well that's what you get for assuming. But it's great when ever someone calls for Carmen Molina. I can just crack my voice like a boy would do and say "Nope never heard of her." It's true, who is that chick anyway? I haven't ran into her since the mid 90's or so. I mean jeez get over her already she doesn't exist. LOL!!! Plus I think my loss of voice is a blessing in disguise for Michael and Dominic because they wont hear me nag at them.

I had a long discussion with the principal at my school. Actually a rather nice one considering. I wont get into too much detail but she has had the rep. in the past for not having the best "people skills" but I really do think she likes me and that she know this disease is just a bunch of shit and that I really wouldn't be like this (always sick) if I wasn't dealing with such a huge burden. Any how she said she didn't care if I was calling in sick all the time, that my sick days are there for that reason. That she feels I'm a great employee and don't have to worry about losing my job due to my lack of work. I just explained to her my problems with this new me. That in the past I was always the one who would give up sick time each year because I was always so dedicated to my job and that I feel that I'm not giving my 100% because physically I can no longer do it. We went back and forth and I really wanted to give my notice because I do feel like a bad employee but she pretty much told me she wouldn't accept it. That she's rather me take a leave of absence if need be before me quitting because it is so hard to get into the school system here in San Diego (which is true, it took me a year and I only work 15 hours a week). She felt with my background, schooling and time with the district that after transplant and me feeling better that I'll have so many more options for a better job (not entry level like I have now) and wouldn't want me to give that up all because of my fears of being a bad employee. Plus if Mike and I do retire here which is something we have discussed but nothing is set in stone we have at least 6 years to decide that, that I only need to work 20 hours to get benefits like medical which will come in handy after he retires God forbid I need more procedures and Tricare may not cover all of it once he retires. So bottom line I'm staying. My hours changed a bit so I get to sleep 45 min. longer in the morning and that seemed to help me Thursday and yesterday but we'll see. We even discussed reducing my hours more if need be later, but I'm really hoping that I wont need to do that.

Tonight Dominic has his first real game. By real I mean this one counts towards their seasons record. He will be starting middle linebacker and probably offensive line somewhere. He hasn't started middle linebacker yet in the past because he was starting on the line both for defense and offence but the boy who played middle linebacker quit the team and so Dominic was the 2ND string linebacker and now has been bumped up to 1st string, I guess. So he is excited and not nervous at all but Mike is a nervous wreck and very jumpy. I asked him if he was nervous about Dominic and he told me "No, Dominic will do just fine, he is a good player and probably the best that we have left for that position. I'm just nervous about the game in general. I really want us to win." You see my husband has coached the past 2 years and we (Santee) are not known for being a winning team. Mike has never been on a losing team (other than his Raiders LOL) so this is new to him, the not winning and not doing good. I guess we just moved to the wrong city, because Santee seems to not push their kids as they do in other areas of San Diego like Skyline, Balboa, and Lemon Grove. Here they just want to make sure their kids get their ten plays in and will cheer like they are at a golf game. I'm not used to that either. I come from Florida where that's all there is for a lot of boys. Football and they are all corn fed. So we are a little demanding I guess when it comes to Dominic and giving his 110% and pushing himself further than he thinks he can do. He has become a great player but I think it's because we do push him and want him to see after each game what he can do better. I think the other coaches boys (a few other coaches have boys on the team as well) are the same way but that is probably why those boys are some of the best players on the team. So hopefully they will do good tonight and who knows maybe they will even win. That's what we are hoping for but personally I don't care about the win, I just want the team to improve each game and for all of them to really want to win and not to give up if they are losing in the first half. Seems to be a pattern in the past. From the practices that I have gone to I think we have a good team but a lot of them are first year players and so they are still learning (this is Dominc's 5th year so he has a little bit of an advantage). Our team is pretty good but there is a heck of a lot better teams in San Diego that kill us each year. I don't know where they find these kids who can throw like they are in college and run like a horse. I'll have to write tomorrow to let you know how they did.

until then,
Carmen San Diego

3 things I'm happy about:
  1. My talk with Mary ( the school principal). It really meant a lot to me. Thanks!
  2. It cooling off now and being able to turn off our AC. Our last power bill was over 300.00 can you believe it. Freaking crazy.
  3. Feeling better after all this time. Man I thought I'd never feel better.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    It's good to have an employer who understands and is flexible.

    Cooler here too - still mid 80's during the day but nights are in the 50's. I ran the swamp cooler for about 30 minutes in the late afternoon but that was all.

    Glad you're feeling better.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home