Good Times and Boxed Whine

Friday, September 07, 2007

Final Day= Day 3

Today was the day I have dreaded the most (other than the 18Th when I get my heart catheter). It was a day full of my favorite test in the world (being very sarcastic) PFT's (Pulmonary Function Test). My day didn't start off on a great start either. I was woke up numerous times with this sore throat and pain in my chest in the night. Then the cleaners came (on time ) which is not normal so we were rushed out of the house and finally once we got to the hospital we realized that we took the spare keys and my medical scooter key is on my set of keys. So I wasn't able to use my scooter and Mike had to wheel me around in a wheel chair. I hate wheel chairs. Some people would probably prefer being wheeled around over a scooter but for me it takes away my only form of independence. I really feel like a cripple, so I wasn't very happy but I only had to go to two different places today so it wasn't so bad I guess.

So, off to the Pulmonary laboratory. The respiratory tech was extremely nice her name was Brenda and she was the nicest tech. I've ever had. She didn't push like a drill sergeant like the past ones. She actually reminded me of a lady I work with Lucinda. She looked so much like her that she could pass as one of her sisters. Anyways, we had to do my test inside that glass box which sort of made me panic but she was pretty soothing and Michael was in the room so my anxiety wasn't so bad. It was there but not like yesterdays when he wasn't in the room. So I did the best as I could which isn't much and I believe that my TLC (total lung capability) was somewhere in the 20's. Pretty bad, but I guess that is why we are getting me on this transplant list hopefully.

Once the breathing test were done, she had to draw blood from my artery not my vein this is called ABG. It's a little harder and more painful but lucky for me she took my advice and gave me a shot of lidacane (sp) before she went fishing in my wrist and she got in on the 1st try. The last time they tried to do that it took 4 techs and 2 doctors poking at me until they finally decided to numb me up so I didn't feel the pain. If I remember right I think she said that, that reading came back that my oxygen levels were in the 80's which also has dropped since the last time. Before it was in good range in the 90's.

After that was done we "attempted" to do a walking test on the treadmill and we didn't get very far. My blood pressure kept dropping and I got winded the first try and the second light headed and my BP went like 80/60 so they decided to end the test and not even attempt the 6 minute walk with out oxygen. THANK GOD because I wasn't looking forward to that at all. I haven't walked that long in over a year especially with out oxygen. So I don't know if this is good or bad I guess it's bad but in a way it's also good because it helps them know that I'm not faking when I tell people that I can't do a lot of things.

Once that was all over we had to go get my skin test read and all that came back normal and my day was over. My test are all done other than my heart catheter and a few other thing I need to get checked like pap smear, eyes, and dental. I believe by the end of the month (even sooner maybe) they will have reviewed my case and I will know if I am a candidate or not. Keep your fingers crossed.

I still have this rock in the chest and sore throat but I am going to pour me a glass a wine to celebrate being over all these test. Who knows maybe the warmth of the wine will make me feel better. Wishful thinking I guess. LOL!!

3 things I'm happy about:
  1. Being done with the week and all these test. Man what a full week I've had.
  2. My husband for pushing me around all day at the hospital. He's so good. Even though I hate the wheel chair and would much rather be in my scooter, he never complains about wheeling me around when he has to.
  3. Felicita and Margarita, they let me come home to a clean house with all the dust and dog hair gone. Thanks ladies.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hang in there girl! It will be soon over and it will all be worth it! Way to go with the wheel chair Mike...just don't take that job and decide to go into the women's bathroom. LOL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home