Good Times and Boxed Whine

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

In Memory of aunt Rita

When I came back to San Diego from visiting Groton I wrote a post about being sad because I knew that some of the people I befriended I wouldn't see them again. At the time I was referring to myself one day passing and knowing in my heart that, that was the last time I'd see some of them. Or at least see them all together in a group. Well I got a disturbing call the other day that Aunt Rita had died. Aunt Rita is not really my aunt. It's actually a joke that Mike made up awhile ago. She was the aunt of our friends and her husband was Mike also so to not confuse my Mike with the other Mike we all called him Uncle Mike. Her name really is Maria but again there are to many Maria's that we know so Mike in a drunken stupor said "You look more like a Aunt Rita to me." and the name has stuck ever since. Everyone called her Aunt Rita that we knew, she herself starting to call herself Aunt Rita when she call for get togethers. Aunt Rita and I also had an agreement that we would prearranged our children marriage. Dominic would marry her daughter Victoria, that way we'd still be friends for ever and then we'd be family and she'd be our Aunt Rita.
What's so disturbing to me is that she was in really good health so we all thought. Her husband on the other hand was not. He had a heart attack recently and just had open heart surgery around the 4th of July. So when we got the call we assumed it was Uncle Mike never even thinking it saw Aunt Rita who by the way was only 34 I believe. They say she had a blood disorder or something that just caused all her organs to shut down. She went in on Wednesday to the doctors because she was having something like a bad period and then Died Saturday afternoon I believe.
She was such a joy to be around and so much fun. She was always the laugh of the party and simply just a great person to be around. I can't ever recall not having fun when she was around. I worry for her children she has two one boy Chaz that is going into the 9th grade so I guess he's 13 or so and a daughter Victoria who I believe is going into the 7th grade. They are at such a tough stage in their lives already that losing your mom at this age is only going to make it worse. She will surely be missed and she touched everyone's life that had a chance to meet her.

I will surely miss my Aunt Rita, I love you girlfriend and I will see you again one day up in that great place and we will party again.

Carmen

Feeling: deeply sadden to have lost a friend.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    I'm so very sorry. My youngest son will be 34 soon and he still seems like a kid to me. That's so young.

    My sympathy and prayers to you and her family.

    Ann

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Carmen, I'm so sorry for the loss of your "aunt" Rita. My heart is with you

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Carmen San Diego said…

    Thank you both for your kind words.

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger haggardmom said…

    My condolences Carmen... so sad when these unexpected deaths happen.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Laura said…

    That's incredibly sad! I send my sympathy to you and Mike, as well as to "Aunt Rita's" family.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home