Good Times and Boxed Whine

Saturday, July 08, 2006

You'd think I'd be happy but....

Well my doctor appointment was very long and didn't really end the was I wanted it to. Actually It went ok I guess, nothing really has changed when they did a x-ray which means my trouble breathing isn't due to a collasped lung or anything. I wanted oxygen but they didn't give it to me. The doctor said I'm still getting enough oxygen to all my body and probably just have a cold or something. They predicted this by drawing blood from my artery the test is called an ABG. For anyone who has never got one of these test done I would try my hardest to not ever get one done. They are very painful and they the corpsman, nurse and doctor tried 8 times and would only get a vein not an artery. It really sucks but its a very accurate reading so I and the doctor really wanted to get it done. I'm getting better with pain these days after everything I've been going through so I let them try over and over again. Dr. Shah the last time put me in tears and felt really back but I told him not to worry just get the right blood. So another Doctor came in and suggested they numb my arm so they could really dig in there and it not hurt so much. So finally after the 8 tries they did do that and finally got it. I've always been a hard stick but never anything like this. They said it had to do with my Raynauds and it clamping down as soon the needle hit the artery but after 4 and half hours later they did get the right blood and it came back that everything was good. Funny but I was a bit upset about that because I really wanted oxygen to help me get through the day, but I guess I should look on the positive side and realize that I'm doing better than my body wants to pretend its doing. They do think that when I walk or exercise or do anything physical that I lose oxygen so they are going to have me do a pulmonary function test on the 17Th and do another test where they measure the amount of oxygen I get when I'm on my feet. If that comes back low then they will put me on oxygen. Until then I suffer with being winded and enjoy life as much as I can sitting down. Sucks but I'm getting used to it.
So I left the doctors office with more medicine that probably wont work, and more appointments for later in the month.

In closing I'm frustrated but am happy I have not collasped a lung again or something else more serious.

Carmen San Diego

1 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Man, Carmen, I'm sorry that was such an ordeal! Glad you can see the positive side. I hope your next visit clears more stuff up for you and you feel better soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home