Good Times and Boxed Whine

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

medical update on me

Hello all,
I just wanted to let you all know that I spoke to my doctors today and they have told me that I have to go on a chemo type of medication again. It's an immunosuppressant drug called Azathioprine (you can get the details on
www.webmd.com). Dr.Shah(my pulmonary doctor) told me that I had to go on this medicine and see if I tolerate it before they can put me on the transplant list. I have to tolerate this medicine before anything because this is a medicine that I'll HAVE to take for the rest of my life after a transplant so I don't reject me new lungs.
So it's a catch 22 to me because I have been on immunosuppressants before (Cytozen and Cellcept) and both of then I didn't tolerate; my kidneys started to act up and had to be taken off of them. I'm nervous because I know of all the side effect ( they really suck, like having the flu and I'm tired more than I am already) and weekly blood work I'll have to go through once again but I also know I have to try this in order to move forward on the process of a transplant.
Good thing is my job will be ending for the summer so I'll have the whole summer to be sick (Lord I hope not) and I have a great support system with Michael's parents, my family and friends in San Diego to help me out during this process if needed.
Anyhow, keep your fingers crossed, wish on a star or pray; what every you do that I tolerate this medicine well so that it wont keep me from getting on the list. I go Friday after work for a complete blood and urine work and will start my new medicine that day as well.

Thanks for your support,
Carmen

3 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger haggardmom said…

    I'll be keeping you in my thoughts this week. :-)

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Laura said…

    Carmen, I really hope you do well on the new drug and it doesn't make you too horribly run down!

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Rex White said…

    Prayers, hugs and well-wishes coming your way continually, Carmen! Always!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home