Good Times and Boxed Whine

Thursday, July 26, 2007

To sum the Doctor visit up.

This is what the doctor wrote on my papers to give to Dr. Yung on Tues.

Scleroderma with pulmonary involvement: pt will see Dr. Yung on 31jul07 to discuss transplant. given worsening sxs. I feel this may be the most prudent next step especially given toleration of azathioprine other than increased proteinuria.

For people who don't know what Proteinuria is it's : Proteinuria describes a condition in which urine contains an abnormal amount of protein. Proteins are the building blocks for all body parts, including muscles, bones, hair, and nails. Proteins in your blood also perform a number of important functions. They protect you from infection, help your blood clot, and keep the right amount of fluid circulating throughout your body. As blood passes through healthy kidneys, they filter the waste products out and leave in the things the body needs, like proteins. Most proteins are too big to pass through the kidneys' filters into the urine unless the kidneys are damaged. The main protein that is most likely to appear in urine is albumin. Proteins from the blood can escape into the urine when the filters of the kidney, called glomeruli, are damaged.

So hopefully Tues. Dr. Yung will agree with Dr. Shah and we will go ahead with the next step and get me me on the transplant list. Dr. Shah again said at this point there are only 2 things to do; 1- nothing and let time take it's course and just keep me comfortable (sort of like a hospice thing) or 2-get a tranplant or start the process before I get to weak to be able to handle it.
I told Dr. Shah "Death (not doing anything) is NOT an option and that I will go with plan B and try and get on the transplant list. So keep me in your prayers that this Proteinuria or me getting weaker doesn't keep me from being able to get a transplant.

I'll keep you posted on the next steps come Tues.

until later,
Carmen San Diego

3 things I'm happy about today:
  1. No feeling like I am going to throw up, like I did ALL DAY LONG yesterday.
  2. My cleaners because they save me from inhaling the fumes of the cleaning products. Plus they always do a great job.
  3. My family/friends for being so supportive in this journey of mine living with this terrible disease. With out each of them I wouldn't have come this far I don't think.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    Keeping you in my prayers.

    I'm having internet problems so if you don't hear from me soon, that's why.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home