Good Times and Boxed Whine

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Good Day

Carmen had a good day today. This is the first time I've thought this, so maybe things are starting to turn around! They sent a fiber optic camera and suction into both lungs and really got out a bunch of stuff. She handled the procedure well, keeping her saturation levels up the whole time. They got out what can be described as gel type secretions from the lungs and sent them to the lab for analysis. She rested the rest of the day as they are constantly trying to "dial in" the breathing machine. She looks peaceful and her skin from laying in the bed is improving. She is retaining a bit of fluid, and they are using a medication to reduce that. Maybe we can tack on a few more good days in a row and she can recover from this.

Very special thanks to Carmen's long time friend Michelle Gumprecht who sent up a ton of sandwiches, chips, and cookies from Panera Bread up to the ICU for us. Carmen would have enjoyed that as she really likes Panera Bread. Sorry Michelle that our conversation on the phone was so short, they were talking to me about the procedure when you called.

You guys are all great. Your support is really appreciated. Carmen has touched so many lives, and it apparent in this blog.

Dominic is good, had friends over all day playing Halo 3 (school is out due to the fires). I came home early from the hospital to try and catch up on my master's courses in college. Tough time to concentrate on college courses I'm not really interested in. Give you more updates tomorrow.

Mike

13 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Mike if you can't do your college course then Maybe Mark Jarvis can copy some stuff for you! haha..

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    That is so good to hear.. We all have been praying for Carmen. The first thing I do when I get home is check her blog to see if there is a current update. Thank you so much for this!! I know it's hard but I know it means so much to her.
    You are a very strong and devoted husband... I will continue to pray and hope that she continues to have many more good days so she can recover and be with all of us again!! Give Dominic a hug for me and tell Carmen I love her very much!!! Thank your mom for watching Amelia so I could see Carmen for a little!!
    Love,
    Jenny, Art and Amelia

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hang in there Mike. I know she will recover from this! I can't thank you enough for your updates. You are the mack daddy. They are very much appreciated. Gotta love the internet..

    Please give Carmen and Dominic a big hug and kiss for me!

    Love, Liz

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,
    Sounds like our girl is pulling through. You and Carmen both have handled extraordinary challenges with such amazing strength. Thanks for keeping us informed.
    Love,
    Michelle and Art

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Thanks for sharing the good news. We definitely have the prayer chain going here in the midwest! Woohoo! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the awesome, uplifting update! She is SUCH a fighter.

    Love,
    Bridget
    St. Louis, MO

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Praise God Mike for your wonderful update! I have my whole church plus a special women's ministry praying for you guys. Carmen is truly a fighter and please tell her how much we all love her. I don't know you but I am so proud that you are her husband. Many men would not be able to handle what you're going through. Hang in there! Aunt Pat

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Mike,

    John and I are happy to read today's blog! I am praying that we see alot more of these! I've been staying in due to all of these fires but now that things are settling down (finally!) I hope to come by for a visit this weekend. I know we are in the early stages of getting to know each other but I have to say I truly admire you! You are an amazing person and obviously a wonderful husband! Carmen is so lucky to have you!

    Mucho hugs,
    Marie :-)

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike - this is excellent news!!! You are a wonderful person! I wish I lived closer so I could be there. Kiss Dominic a hug and a kiss for me!

    I will keep Carmen in my thoughts.

    Love, Heidi
    (Glastonbury, CT)

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Schmoop said…

    Sorry that I did not stop by sooner. Good luck to Carmen and your family. Sending all of my good karma your way. Cheers!!

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,
    Great news about Carmen. Thank you for keeping this blog up to date, we check it several times a day. We are thinking about you guys 24/7. Tell Carmen to hang in there (as we know she will, being the fighter that she is), and hopefully we'll see you soon.
    Love,
    Brad & Lynn

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Granny said…

    I'm glad to hear some good news.

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger tyronne said…

    Hi Mike,

    This is Tyronne Carmen's uncle in St. Louis. We grew up together and we all love her very much. I've never met or talked to you but I can tell your a good man. Stay strong as I believe Carmen is very strong as well and will bounce back from this. You have our prayers and thanks for keeping us updated.

    Love, Tyronne

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sounds like excellent news about Carmen. You all remain in our prayers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home