Good Times and Boxed Whine

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Groundhog Day

Well as the title suggests, if you read the first paragraph of yesterday's blog, today is eerily similar.

Here are a few different things: She is starting to get a rash and some bedsores the Navy ordered a new bed that has lots of air circulation, using different pressure points etc... The bed came in today from the civilian community and they will be transfering (with no small effort) her to it. Dermatology came up and looked at her and determined that the rash is not due to the antibiotics (good news).

Man, next time you hear about a newspaper or TV station bashing Navy or Military Medicine, smile in an all knowing way. These guys and girls are really the best that there is. Ask anyone who as been here.

Thanks to Margaritaville Key West for sending a massive "get well" banner. Marty, Sharon and I put it up in Carmen's room. Thanks to Gina in South Carolina for the food sent to the house. Thanks to Amy (love ya Amy) in Key West for the multiple cards in addition to Denise et al from Margaritaville for the GREAT gift package. Melissa at Margaritaville, you are a wonderful artist (banner and picture).

I know I can't thank everyone every night so if I missed anyone, I sincerely apologize. Keep your prayers and prayer groups working, it appears to be working. Chaplain Cantrell has come in multiple times (including late in the night) and has done prayers for Carmen. He breaks me down every time during prayer and Marty and I have had discussions on "the why" that happens because nobody sees me as too "religious". Well, I'm spiritual in my own way and in my mind there is a true purity about a chaplain saying a prayer over the bed of a woman on a ventilator. Carmen would appreciate that, both my reaction and the chaplain being there for her.

I really don't really like country music. But the song of the day is "I got friends that do" by Tim McGraw. What a powerful song! Listen to it if you have a chance.

Mike

16 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Mike so much for posting and keeping us updated. It really menas so much to all of us. Although we cannot be there physically, our hearts and minds are there with you guys.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my bad, I forgot to sign my name - that comment is from me! Love to you all, Liz

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brotha glad to hear your holding up ok! Don't worry about your fantasy football team cuz i've already taking care of that for you..victory is mine! haha...figured that would get a smile out of you..We are praying for Carmen every night when the girls say their prayer before bed.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thank you, Mike, for the update. Our prayers continue.

     
  • At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike this is Charles carmen's Dad. I just read her blog. I'm so sorry for not reading it sooner. I just don't know what to say. I'm praying for you guys I'm praying for my daughter I love her so much. YOu hold her hand and tell her I'm thinking of her and praying for everything to get better for you guys. Thanks Mike for doing all of this the blog and e-mails. You're a great guy Mike I could tell by how Carmen talk about ya but now it really shows. Hold my baby for me I wish I could be there. My e-mail is cd2c2n@aol.com. e-mail me if you like. The 2c stands for Charles and Carmen always had her in my heart. Love ya son, Charles

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Even though I don't know you all personally, I feel like I do on some level with the updates through the blog, and from Rex and Rachel. I updated my churches list last night so that they can pray that her infection will go away.

    Praying for you in Kentucky,

    Ashley Carey

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Rex White said…

    I hadn't heard that Tim McGraw song before, Mike, but wow! I downloaded it on iTunes today and can't stop listening to it.

    You DO have friends that DO, bro! Love you guys!

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike, this is Carmen's cousin Bridget in St. Louis. I had been trying to contact Carmen through her myspace and e-mail and I was concerned about the fires and watching the news and thinking you all had evacuated, not realizing that she was in the hospital. We are all praying for her in St. Louis, for you and Dominic as well. Thank you so much for keeping us posted through the blog. Tell her I love her, always have and always will.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Granny said…

    Thank you again for the updates.

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mike, I had no idea. Carmen is in my thoughts and prayers as well as you and D. I was evacuated and am in monterey, but we will be home on sunday. Nate is stuck at the hospital on Camp. Pendleton. Please call him if you need anything. 760-725-4957
    All my love, Melodee

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Lil Bit said…

    Hi... I'm visiting via SS Nick & just wanted to let you know that you & your wife are in my thoughts.
    I wish her a speedy recovery and safety for you both during the wildfires that surround.

    *big hugs*

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike thank you so much for talking with me today over the phone. I pray that the Lord will raise her up again and she will be able to walk out of that hospital. I am also praying for you, Dominique, Sharon and the entire family. Continue to be strong and thank you for loving my niece and I know she truly loves you. Aunt Pat

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Mike,

    Thanks so much again! I can't tell you how comforting that it is to know that you are by her side every minute that you can be. I pray that God gives you the strength that you need to be there and make the right decisions for Carmen. I also pray that Dominic will be comforted at this time. Please know that the people who can not be with you because of distance between us are praying and thinking about you all every minute of every day. I love you all so much. God grant you the serenity to accept the things that you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

    Love,

    Michelle, Dave and Connor

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Rachel has kept us up to date on Carmens progress. What a fighter she is. We pray she can win this battle and wish you and Dominic all the love and strength through this difficult time.

    Love, Craig and Jami

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, so I have visited Carmen and got to see some of the family many times already. And still...as I am in her hospital room, I insist on talking "trash" to her. I mean talking trash in the most loving way people (this is what Carmen and I do). I can't see not having my girl around so I continue to feed her with normal conversations such as sex, body odors,work, etc.. I continue to pray for her that we can still have those insane conversations with crazy laughter. I pray that she wakes up and can laugh louder than me (she always wanted that). She's like a sistah to me. Keep the love and prayers flowing people!!!
    Yvonnnnnnnnnne (Go Chargers)

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Kat Mortensen said…

    Dear Mike,

    Sometimes Saintly Nick has led me here. I will pray for your wife to get through this. My friend has just been diagnosed with bone cancer, so I understand how everyone banding together can only be a good thing.

    God bless you and Carmen!

    Kathleen
    www.hyggedigter.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home