Good Times and Boxed Whine

Monday, October 22, 2007

Wild Fires

Carmen's day was again essentially the same today. She is stable. She is still fighting the infection and had a little fever last night. Her white blood cell count is a little high but she's still on some high powered IV antibiotics. Carmen's oxygen saturation is still good, and is requiring less power (best way to explain it) on the ventilator. Not much happened (good or bad) today.

There are currently 8 wildfires out of control in San Diego. Our house is sort of surrounded by them (north, east, south) but we are in no danger at this time. In different areas of San Diego, entire housing complexes are burning. The cars parked on the street here are covered in ash. The air quality is very poor. Carmen would have had a tough time at home today if she wasn't in the hospital. Maybe that is one thing to be thankful for. The wildfires will be worse tomorrow, and a lot of the hospital staff has had to evacuate their families to hotels and friends houses. In addition, the hospital staff has to ALL stay at the hospital tonight, leaving their families to evacuate without them. It's sometimes tough when you have to leave family to take care of your job. Sort of like when I left Carmen and D during a hurricane to ride it out at sea on a Coast Guard cutter. It makes you appreciate people who serve others.

Carmen has a bunch of balloons in her room now thanks to the Chiefs at Deep Submergence Unit. Thanks guys.

Thanks for are your prayers and prayer groups. Keep it up, she's fighting.

10 Comments:

  • At 6:49 PM, Blogger Granny said…

    I wondered about you today living where you do. I'm glad it's not close to you and that you and your family are alright.

    I'll keep checking back. Prayers still with you.

    Ann

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Keep your head up! You are doing great! The updates have been a great way for those of us who are far away physically but close at heart! I guess there is always something else to worry about in life besides your current situation, and I know that Carmen is in the hospital for a reason...I am confident that she is getting the best care and that you and Dominic are her source of the fight she has in her. I thank God that He brought all of you into our lives.......oh the memories! Wax Museum anyone? I miss you all and pray each moment for Carmen to be well again so she can have her lung transplants, I know that is the other thing she has to fight for right now. I wish you all the best in this time and please let me know if there is anything that we can do, even here in Connecticut.

    All of my love and prayers!

    Michelle, Dave and Connor

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Michael, I have written you every way I know how, and I have written Sharon and Raena is my only other information. I thank God every night when you remember to include us. You are a magic man. I don't have your phone or address and that is terrible. Thank you again for keeping us in your day. I will send another e-mail to Carm's address. Pam

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Mike,
    All of us in Key West are praying for our conch girl. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around everything that has happened. This is all so scary - but I know that Carmen not only has the best medical care, she is surrounded by her family and wonderful friends and that, more than anything, will give her strength. I'm so glad the family is together out there - I know Carmen loves that too! Thanks Mike for taking such good care of Carm and Dom - we love you all so much. Amy,JL and all of Key West!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mike,

    You and Carmen are both troopers. I am so blessed to been able to spend a few days with you during this time. listening to the doctors and nurses and just watching her. Carmen is an amazing person and a fighter. I know this firsthand now.

    She's continuing to be lifted up in prayer by people all over - people she's never even met - as are you. I was humbled to see that you guys have such a wonderful, loving family there to support the 3 of you at this time.

    And I'm okay being "The guy from the blog". I can't wait until Carmen wakes up and laughs about how she made me infamous with people like Karol and others!!!

    Love you guys!
    Rex
    "Guy from the blog"

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Said a prayer for you this morning at our prayer circle, for Carmen and for the wild fires.

    Praying for you in Kentucky.

    Ashley

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike,

    Sending you and yours prayers from Jacksonville! Keep positive and know that we're thinking of you down here. God Bless,

    Sean

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger tcramer said…

    OMG! Mike, I'm sorry that I'm just catching up. My computer has been out of commission for the past couple of days and I made a point of stopping here today to find out how the fires were treating you folks.

    Please tell Carmen I'm thinking about her and sending all my best wishes her way. She is one of the bravest, strongest women I've ever encountered. I know she can withstand this current crisis. She is going to be a winner in this battle.

    Love, Tamera in Columbus, OH

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm thinking of you guys constantly. Mike, you're great (and always have been). Please tell everyone I send my regards. Please tell Carmen, "I canNOT talk now"! She'll know what it means... Liz

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are checking your blog daily and praying so hard for Carmen to be well. If there is an address we can send cards or such to can you post it. Are flowers allowed where she is???

    Love to you all,
    Laurie (Baun)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home